Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Davis takes Austin

This past weekend, my little brother came to visit me. He rode on a plane all by himself!! Which made my parents super nervous but he could not have been more excited :) He flew in on Thursday and we immediately got to exploring.

First, Davis and I jumped in a Car2go Smart car to drive around downtown; he was so excited to ride in a Smart car! We went to the Driskill Hotel for lunch; they have amazing food but it was mostly because Davis thinks it is haunted so I had to take him to debunk the myth. We took photos inside just to spook the kiddo as much as possible.

Nest we went to the Capital which was a blast! Neither of us had ever been so it was great to experience it together. We ran around and both took pictures (I let him use my camera) and we had fun exploring such an amazing building. Afterwards, we walked around the Austin downtown area and I showed Davis where I used to work and some cool music shops.

After all of that sun and heat, we needed a cool down so we head straight to the pool after that. Davis thought it was cool because the pool is actually across the street in a huge Hilton hotel. that kid is such a good swimmer! We had so much fun swimming around in the pool; there weren't many people so we were able to just goof off...until it started raining and not just raining but pouring! we ran back home and decided that it may be a good night for a movie. We went to Target (not very Austin, I know) where we bought A Night at the Museum, The Smithsonian and a great Scrabble card game. The rest of out night consisted of playing games, watching the movie and sushi!!! Don't get too excited, I didn't get him to eat sushi but he did try a few bites so that's good enough for me :)

Friday was our big day! We went to Taco Shack and ate breakfast tacos then head off to the day's first showing of Toy Story 3, in 3D and the IMAX theatre; oh yeah! It was the best and only way to see a 3D movie. Toy Story 3 was so good! It is kind of thing, Davis and I, so this weekend was planned around the opening day; we had to see it together. We had a great time waiting in line for the movie, buying popcorn and candy (Davis, I still have our king-size Kit Kat), and getting the best seats in the whole place. There is nothing like seeing a movie with a kid; the excitement of rushing in the theatre to get a seat is the best :)

After Toy Story 3, Davis and I walked parts of the campus at the University of Texas. He wants to go to college there and I want to do everything in my power to encourage it. We walked the mall, took pictures by the big fountain, and then went to the co-op where I of course bought him a "Future Texas Ex" tee :) Hook 'Em Davis!

By Friday evening, we were cleaning up to head to dinner at Lambert's with some friends in town from California. Davis was the hit of the night and once again, I had him trying all kinds of foods like deviled eggs, spiced fried shrimp, and pulled pork; he was a pretty good sport. We cuddled up and fell asleep on the couch watching a movie after dinner. He is such an amazing kid and those 3 days went by so fast! When you have a kid traveling as an unaccompanied minor, you get to walk them through security and sit at the gate with them until the plane takes off. That was fun; we ate in the airport and hung out while we waited. I can't wait to get him back here!

I love you, kiddo!

-Lacey

At Toy Story 3, 3D IMAX


At the UT Co-Op


Hugs!!


At the Capital


Goofing off inside


How cute is this kid?!


At the Driskill Hotel

No comments: